Azerbaijan combines the heritage of the Seljuk Turks and ancient Persians. Its name is derived from the Persian, meaning “Land of Fire” referring both to its petroleum deposits known since ancient times and to its status as former center of the Zoroastrian faith. Today it faces serious environmental challenges, soil contaminated with DDT, and pollution.
Glorious Mysteries: Intentions for Azerbaijan
1. May the conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh be settled peacefully.
2. May Azerbaijan and Armenia continue diplomatic means to settle their border issues.
3. May the government respect its international commitments.
4. May people of different faiths live in peace with each other.
5. May the government fulfill its goal of reducing poverty.