Brunei was the only Malay state in 1963 to choose to remain a British dependency rather than join the Malaysian Federation. It became independent in 1984. Since 1962, the sultan has ruled by decree. Large reserves of oil and gas have given Brunei one of the highest standards of living in the world.
Glorious Mysteries: Intentions for Brunei Darussalam
1. That Brunei make progress in its goal of increasing domestic rice production.
2. That government and industry succeed in diversifying the economy.
3. That the nation’s wealth may be used wisely, and invested for future generations.
4. That the young may learn the value of work in the midst of plenty.
5. That regional security may be guaranteed by ASEAN cooperation.