The great Mayan culture flourished here until the 9th century. Columbus landed in 1502, and named the area Honduras, meaning “depths”. Hurricane Mitch in 1998 obliterated 70% of crops and 70-80% of the infrastructure. Roughly 1 million have migrated to the USA, and OFW remittances provide significant foreign income.
Glorious Mysteries: Intentions for Honduras
1. That families separated by economic necessity may find strength and consolation in their faith.
2. That social solidarity may make incomes more equal.
3. That the mining industry control its pollution of the country’s fresh water.
4. That children be protected from abuse and exploitation.
5. That generous assistance come to victims of natural disasters.