Sierra Leoneans are noted for their educational achievements, trading and entrepreneurial skills, and arts and crafts particularly woodcarving. A decade of civil war ended in 2002. Substantial growth has been recorded, but the challenges remain daunting.
Sorrowful Mysteries: Intentions for Sierra Leone
1. For perpetrators of terror to be brought to justice
2. That the thousands whose limbs were maimed during the civil war may be given assistance to rebuild their lives
3. For the rehabilitation of the 6,000 children who were forced to become soldier killers during the war.
4. For agricultural reform that will reverse deforestation and soil exhaustion
5. For Christians to persevere in the face of discrimination