The “Velvet Revolution” in 1989 led to the downfall of communism and the birth of an independent Slovakia in 1993. At the heart of Europe, Slovakia has preserved its own language and cultural traditions. The status of ethnic Hungarians and Roma present a challenge to the government and its relations with its neighbors.
Glorious Mysteries: Intentions for Slovakia
1. For government to succeed in meeting its fiscal targets.
2. For government to address the issue of an aging population and very low birth rates.
3. For responsible extraction and development of natural resources.
4. For government to address the discrimination in the school system.
5. For humane treatment of minorities, especially the Roma.