A former British protectorate in the Pacific, the Solomon Islands is trying to recover from a civil conflict between ethnic Melanesians and migrant Malaitans that brought the nation to the brink of collapse. Australia intervened and brokered a peace deal. Economic hopes rest on the resumption of palm oil production & gold mining.
Glorious Mysteries: Intentions for Solomon Islands
1. That the people scarred by civil conflict may learn to live in peace.
2. That dolphins be preserved and the Bita’ama community that traditionally hunts dolphins be given development assistance.
3. That the crocodile population be controlled.
4. That economic growth provide more opportunities to the young, and control the rise in teenage prostitution.
5. That personal disputes over land be sorted out in the courts.