During World War II, the Bulgarian government divested Jews of civil rights, but the Tsar supported by parliament, the Orthodox Church, and the general public aided the Jews and helped 50,000 survive the war despite harsh conditions. The Bulgarian Jews were permitted to emigrate to Israel after the war.
Joyful Mysteries: Intentions for Bulgaria
1. That ethnic minorities be respected and guaranteed their rights.
2. That the religions show the way to serving peace and tolerance.
3. That the economy continue to grow and create jobs for the 10% who are unemployed.
4. That family incomes and living standards may increase.
5. That Bulgaria continue its efforts to protect children and prevent people-trafficking.