Cote d’Ivoire’s early history is unknown but a Neolithic culture may have existed. French missionaries first landed in 1637. It was once hailed as a model of stability but an armed rebellion in 2002 split the nation in two. Cote d’Ivoire has high population growth, high crime rate, and high incidence of AIDS. Elections in 2010 led to civil war.
Joyful Mysteries: Intentions for Cote d’Ivoire
1. That those afflicted with AIDS may receive compassionate care
2. That the nation confront and resolve issues of land reform
3. That the nation succeed in the disarmament, demobilization, and reintegration of rebel forces
4. That the coming legislative elections be peaceful
5. That internally displaced persons may be able to return home