A totalitarian communist state, Cuba was officially an atheist state from 1959 to 1992. There is an officially sanctioned Cuban Council of Churches to which the Catholic Church does not belong. In 2010 Cuba released 40 political “prisoners of conscience”.
Joyful Mysteries: Intentions for Cuba
1. That tendencies to extremism may be countered by respect, tolerance and dialogue.
2. That government will heed the aspirations of the Cuban people.
3. That economic freedoms may raise the standards of living.
4. That government may allow greater freedom of expression.
5. That Cuba will deal justly and humanely with illicit emigration.