Two-thirds of Finland is covered in forest and a tenth by water. In the north, the sun does not set for around 10 weeks during the “white nights” of summer, while in winter it does not rise for nearly 8 weeks. This landscape greatly influenced the work of Jean Sibelius, Finland’s greatest composer, in its struggle for independence.
Joyful Mysteries: Intentions for Finland
1. That the abundant forests be valued as God’s precious gift.
2. That growth may decrease youth unemployment, currently at 20%.
3. That society may address the pressing issue of immigration.
4. That Finland maintain its high quality education systems.
5. That Finland find new growth industries as Nokia’s market slumps.