It was originally inhabited by the Arawaks, who gave the name “Guyana” meaning “land of many waters”. Five main ethnic groups have coexisted peacefully for the most part, but its political history has been turbulent. Tropical rainforests are a big draw for eco-tourists. It is the only English-speaking country in South America.
Joyful Mysteries: Intentions for Guyana
1. That people may have new hope for peace in the future.
2. For peaceful coexistence between the different ethnic groups.
3. For the preservation of the rainforests for the good of the Earth.
4. For authorities to curtail the sexual trafficking of men, women and children in the remote mining camps.
5. For debt forgiveness to bring progress to the country.