Buddhism and spirit worship coexist easily. Landlocked, Laos is poor, with inadequate infrastructure and a largely unskilled work-force. Endemic corruption continues to hamper economic growth.
Joyful Mysteries: Intentions for Laos
1. That society may take a forceful stand against corruption.
2. That authorities succeed in controlling the “Yabaa” drug epidemic.
3. That government resettle the communities that will be affected by the proposed Xayaburi hydropower dam.
4. That government effectively halt timber smuggling to Vietnam.
5. That authorities effectively police the trafficking of bile-based traditional medicines that pose a threat to endangered bears.