Mauritius became both a French and English colony. It has preserved its image as one of Africa’s few social and economic success stories. Franco-Mauritians still control most of the large sugar estates. Politics is vibrant and characterized by coalition and alliance building. Mauritius is home to some of the world’s rarest plants and animals.
Joyful Mysteries: Intentions for Mauritius
1. That Mauritius sustain her gains in economic progress and human development
2. That improved drainage systems will ease the flooding caused by cyclones
3. For effective solutions to the problem of water pollution
4. For government efforts to stem the degradation of the coral reefs
5. For reforestation efforts to solve the problem of soil erosion