Ruled by a military junta, Myanmar’s army stands accused of gross human rights abuses. A largely rural, densely forested country, Burma is rich in natural resources, though its people remain poor. The arts, particularly literature, have been influenced by the local form of Theravada Buddhism. Monks are venerated by the people.
Joyful Mysteries: Intentions for Myanmar
1. That the military junta may heed the people’s calls for reform.
2. That the riches of the land be extracted responsibly for the good of all.
3. For transparency in large-scale infrastructure projects.
4. For genuine multi-ethnic participation and a sound regulatory framework for foreign investments in resource rich ethnic areas.
5. For conservation of the nation’s ecosystems.