Most Vincentians are descendants of African slaves brought to the islands to work on plantations of coffee, tobacco, indigo, cotton and sugar. Slavery was abolished in 1834. Today, agriculture remains the most important sector of the economy, though a growing tourist industry is also important.
Joyful Mysteries: Intentions for St. Vincent & the Grenadines
1. That the country’s debt burden be reduced.
2. That pollution in the coastal waters and shorelines be controlled.
3. That employment opportunities be created for the young.
4. That the nation be protected from effects of global warming.
5. That the tourism industry is developed with an eye to conservation.