Sudan’s population is one of the most diverse, posing a major challenge to effective collaboration. Sudan has been at war with itself for more than three-quarters of its existence. In 2004, the US declared that genocide had been committed in Darfur, and held the Sudanese government and the Janjaweed responsible. A peace agreement was signed in Doha.
Joyful Mysteries: Intentions for Sudan
1. That as it emerges from partition, the Sudanese may find common ground to build a future based on respect for human diversity
2. That the two million displaced people may find their way home
3. For effective containment of the rebel militia
4. For hostilities to abate to allow humanitarian aid to come in
5. For an end to the conflict in Western Darfur