East Timor gained independence from Indonesia after a long and traumatic struggle. The rebuilding of East Timor has been one of the UN’s biggest success stories, though security remains precarious. Prone to drought, the country will be dependent on foreign aid for many years.
Joyful Mysteries: Intentions for Timor-Leste
1. For crises to be resolved by negotiation and dialogue.
2. For strengthening of public institutions.
3. For continued progress in human development indices.
4. For government and industry to create more job opportunities.
5. For international aid to be used effectively.