A string of 80 islands once known as the New Hebrides, Vanuatu achieved independence from both France and Britain. Christianity has had a profound influence, beginning with the arrival of missionaries in the 1830s. Local traditions are strong; women still have lower social standing and fewer educational opportunities.
Joyful Mysteries: Intentions for Vanuatu
1. That diplomacy may govern its relations with Russia and Georgia
2. That the status of women may be recognized and respected.
3. That fishermen may be blessed with a bountiful harvest.
4. That more educational opportunities be made available to all.
5. That social and health services be made available to the poor.