Yemenis, unlike the nomads and semi-nomads of the Arabian peninsula, are entirely sedentary and live in small villages. It was part of the ancient Minaean, Sabaean and Himyarite Kingdoms which controlled the lucrative spice trade. Today it faces dwindling resources, a young population, increasing population growth, and rampant corruption. Yemen is the reputed home of the Queen of Sheba.
Joyful Mysteries: Intentions for Yemen
1. That violence against citizens comes to an end, and may justice and peace be restored.
2. That the government may succeed in controlling excessive spending and rampant corruption.
3. For the many addicted to ‘qat’, a narcotic widely produced in Yemen, an addiction that can consume 50% of a family’s income
4. That government and industry may produce more employment opportunities especially for the young.
5. That a peace treaty between the government and northern rebels be effectively implemented.