Its House of Assembly, which began meeting in 1639 under British rule, is the third-oldest legislative body in the Western Hemisphere. Large plantation estates developed as sugar became the main source of commerce. Today it is an upper-middle-income economy based on tourism.
Luminous Mysteries: Intentions for Barbados
1. That the nation may succeed in its efforts to reduce unemployment
2. That tourism be mindful of the need to conserve the environment
3. That authorities put an end to the contamination of aquifers
4. That authorities address the problem of soil erosion
5. That Barbados can effectively control the pollution of coastal waters caused by waste disposal from ships.