The original inhabitants of El Salvador were the Pipil Indians. The Spaniards arrived in 1522, and were overthrown in 1821. Its history as an independent state is marked by frequent revolutions and bloody civil war. OFW remittances from US are a main source of income.
Luminous Mysteries: Intentions for El Salvador
1. That the state find a solution to the disposal of toxic wastes.
2. That economic reforms may free families from dependence on remittances from migrant workers.
3. That growth may reduce poverty in the former conflict zones.
4. That all institutions may strive to guarantee respect for human life.
5. That the martyrs, who died for the cause of social justice and human dignity may always be remembered in the hearts of Salvadorans.