Guinea Bissau was first explored by the Portuguese and became a major slave-trading center in the 18th century. It is now open to foreign investment but poor infrastructure and political instability are disincentives. WHO estimates fewer than 5 physicians per 100,000 persons. Guinea Bissau is also a major hub for cocaine smuggled from Latin America to Europe.
Luminous Mysteries: Intentions for Guinea Bissau
1. That the country will find lasting peace after many years of war.
2. That authorities improve services to the poor and destitute.
3. That Guinea-Bissau will cease being a source of children trafficked for begging and forced agricultural labor.
4. That authorities halt the illicit and lucrative trade in narcotics
5. On this feast of St. Martin de Porres, may those who work for social justice find encouragement