For most of their history, Libyans have been subjected to foreign control, Phoenicians, Carthaginians, Greeks, Romans, Vandals, and Byzantines all ruled parts of Libya. Mu’ammar Qadhafi staged a coup d’etat in 1969 and held power for 42 years. He was overthrown in August 2011 by a population weary of brutality and oppression.
Luminous Mysteries: Intentions for Libya
1. That the end of Qadhafi’s dictatorship may bring new hope for the rebuilding of shattered lives
2. That the new government may govern with integrity and honesty
3. That the many tribes in Libya may learn to live in peace
4. That the immense wealth of the land may bring prosperity to all
5. That justice may be served to the victims of human rights abuses