Situated in the Western Pacific, Micronesia consists of 600 islands. A compact of free association with the USA guarantees security and foreign aid. Despite its small population and large foreign aid, Micronesia has high unemployment, which is compounded by the increasing numbers of Filipino migrant workers. Many live without electricity or running water. Tourism offers a possibility of lessening dependence on foreign aid.
Luminous Mysteries: Intentions for Micronesia
1. That government and industry may generate more jobs.
2. That migrant workers, including Filipinos, may be welcomed and treated fairly.
3. That people may gain access to electricity and running water.
4. That the Church may encourage an end to the use of magic.
5. That the use of the narcotic, sakau, be restricted.