Nigeria’s recorded history dates back to 1000AD. It is the most populous country in Africa, with over 250 ethnic groups, and a rich diversity of customs and traditions. With vast proven reserves of oil and natural gas, Nigeria’s oil boom in the 1970s led to a neglect of other economic sectors and spawned other economic distortions, but is now making progress toward a market-based economy.
Luminous Mysteries: Intentions for Nigeria
1. For democracy to take root after long years of military rule.
2. For the state to develop other industries to reduce the economy’s dependence on oil
3. For an end to corruption so oil revenues will benefit all
4. For improved efforts in its drive against money laundering
5. For an end to communal violence between Christians and Muslims