Historical divisions continue to impact Sri Lankan society and politics. Bitter civil war between the majority Sinhalese and minority Tamils may have ended with the capture of the last area controlled by Tamil Tigers in 2009. About 15% of the population remains impoverished.
Luminous Mysteries: Intentions for Sri Lanka
1. That the Sinhalese and Tamils may learn to live in peace.
2. That healing may come to lives torn apart by natural disasters.
3. That reconstruction may be planned with wisdom and foresight.
4. That internally displaced peoples may find permanent homes.
5. That economic growth may lift people out of poverty.