Ukraine is the largest contiguous country in Europe. Its history dates back to the 9th century, and independence from the Soviet Union came in 1991. The tradition of the Easter Egg (“pysanky”) has long roots in the Ukraine. The Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant is located 100 km north of the capital, Kiev.
Luminous Mysteries: Intentions for Ukraine
1. That Ukraine’s leaders fulfill the promise of the Orange Revolution for more democracy and prosperity.
2. That Ukraine address the need for genuine reform of the justice system that can effectively deal with official corruption.
3. That civil society may be encouraged to build institutions.
4. That workers may be safe in their places of employment.
5. That foreign investment may improve the lives of the majority.