The C.A.R. has been settled since the 7th century by overlapping empires. Since independence from the French in 1960, it has endured several coups and a brutal regime under Jean-Bedel Bokassa. Illegal weapons proliferate across CAR, and armed groups are active in the north. The country is endowed with virgin rainforests and has some of the highest densities of lowland gorillas and forest elephants in Africa.
Sorrowful Mysteries: Intentions for C.A.R.
1. That government may bring order to the countryside
2. That neighboring nations may learn to live in peace
3. That social justice may bring more equal distribution of wealth
4. That improved health care may give hope to infants and the young
5. In this feast of St. Luke, may the faithful continue to be nourished by the Gospel he proclaimed