Congo is one of the most urbanized countries in Africa. First inhabited by Pygmies, Congo was later settled by the Bantus. It came under French rule in the 19th century and in the 20th came decades of turbulent politics marked by Marxist rhetoric. Remnants of the civil war militias, known as Ninjas, are still active in the southern region. It is one of sub-Saharan Africa’s main oil producers, though 70% of the population lives in poverty.
Sorrowful Mysteries: Intentions for Congo
1. That the wealth of the land may be used for the good of all.
2. That the government may succeed in efforts to fight poverty.
3. That the government may be equipped to handle the hordes of refugees fleeing to the Congo.
4. That genuine peace may come to the Congolese.
5. That the country will develop other sectors so it will be less vulnerable to volatile oil prices