A democratic republic with a strong system of constitutional checks and balances, Costa Rica has no military and maintains only domestic police and security forces and professional Coast Guard. It has long emphasized democracy and respect for human rights.
Sorrowful Mysteries: Intentions for Costa Rica
1. For the welfare system to cope with the inflow of immigrants.
2. For widespread land ownership to advance social justice.
3. For protection of her rich biodiversity which serves ecotourism.
4. For continued funding of the safety nets for the poor.
5. For the world to learn from Costa Rica’s example of peace for having long dissolved her armed forces.