The Dominican Republic forms the eastern part of Hispaniola island. Inhabited by the Tainos since the 7th century, Columbus landed in 1492. The friendly welcome soon became resistance to conquest, and among the leaders was the female Chief Anacoana of Xaragua. Within a few years, Tainos were reduced in number from 1 million to 500, above all from European infectious diseases like smallpox.
Sorrowful Mysteries: Intentions for Dominican Republic
1. That the country will effectively police the trafficking of women.
2. That economic reforms will diminish income inequality and solve the problems of high unemployment and underemployment.
3. That families be guarded against pervasive occultism.
4. That the youth may have access to good education and secure gainful employment.
5. That people may have access to clean water and sanitation.