33 atolls make up Kiribati. Its economic zone comprises 3.55 million sq km, stretching 4000 km from east to west and 2000 km from north to south, straddling the Equator. Dependent on coconut and fishing license revenue, Kiribati needs to import nearly all essential foodstuffs and manufactured items.
Sorrowful Mysteries: Intentions for Kiribati
1. For responsible stewardship of its vast marine resources.
2. For public finance reform to improve revenue collection.
3. For government to wisely allocate scarce human and financial resources to basic infrastructure and services.
4. For the international community to act on global warming that threatens the very existence of small islands like Kiribati.
5. For improved information on the health risks posed by cigarettes.