Maldives comprises 1,191 islands in the Indian Ocean. With its abundant sealife and sandy beaches, the Maldives is a choice tourist destination. There is growing concern about the coral reef and marine life because of coral mining, sand dredging and solid waste pollution and climate change. The 2004 tsunami prompted interest in global climate change.
Sorrowful Mysteries: Intentions for Maldives
1. That the international community act on global warming for the threat it poses to the very existence of the Maldives.
2. That responsible tourism may be promoted.
3. That the coral reefs be preserved for the good of the planet.
4. That the young may have access to good quality education.
5. That the sick and the elderly may have access to health care.