Once the heart of an empire under Genghis Khan, who united warring tribes and established the Mongol empire in the 13th century, Mongolia’s population is now smaller than the Mongol population of China. Untapped mineral wealth is expected to transform the economy in coming years.
Sorrowful Mysteries: Intentions for Mongolia
1. For programs to bolster the country’s energy independence.
2. For action to protect endangered species in the Gobi Desert.
3. For natural resources to be extracted responsibly.
4. For government sensitivity to the plight of herders in Inner Mongolia and their issues against mining companies.
5. For peaceful relations between ethnic Mongolians and Chinese immigrants.