Montenegro, which means “Black Mountain”, has a coast on the Adriatic and is bordered by Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, Kosovo and Albania. Half the country is covered in thick forest. Montenegrins resisted the rule of the Ottoman Turks and maintained its independence by playing off its powerful neighbors against each other. It became part of Yugoslavia, and is today a sovereign state, following a referendum in 2006.
Sorrowful Mysteries: Intentions for Montenegro
1. For respectful discourse on issues concerning the country’s identity.
2. For peaceful coexistence between the ethnic groups.
3. For recognition of the aspirations of ethnic minorities.
4. For leaders who will govern with integrity.
5. For responsible development of the tourism industry.