Traditionally, Papua New Guineans recognize bonds of kinship beyond the immediate family group. Though land may be inherited by women, women are generally considered as inferiors and gender violence is endemic. There is rapid spread of HIV.
Sorrowful Mysteries: Intentions for Papua New Guinea
1. That the health crisis posed by the spread of HIV be addressed.
2. That a solution be found to mine waste disposal that will not be harmful to the environment.
3. That vast natural resources may be extracted for the good of all.
4. That social tensions that come with urbanization may be addressed.
5. That the government may put an end to sorcery-related killings.