Grasslands and farms over rolling hills and mountains characterize Rwanda’s landscape. Its population density is the highest in sub-Saharan Africa. The people endured the state-orchestrated genocide in 1994, when 800,000 were killed in 100 days. The country is striving to rebuild its economy.
Sorrowful Mysteries: Intentions for Rwanda
1. That Rwandans may heal from the memory of the 1994 genocide
2. That the fruits of relief from the nation’s debt be felt by all
3. That economic growth may lift people out of poverty
4. That Rwandan refugees may be able to come home
5. That Rwanda continue its success in the fight against HIV/AIDS, with education and prevention programs that have reduced the prevalence rate below 3% from 13% in the 1990s