Saudi Arabia’s Hijaz region is the cradle of Islam, the birthplace of the Prophet Mohammed. The Al-Sauds came to power in the 18th century, espousing Wahhabism, a strict form of Sunnism, which formed a strongly religious self-identity. The world’s largest oil reserves today accounts for 90% of exports.
Sorrowful Mysteries: Intentions for Saudi Arabia
1. That the reform process may create a society with greater awareness of human rights.
2. That extremism may be countered with respect and tolerance
3. That the country’s development plan promoting women in society may become a reality
4. That migrant workers be granted equal rights.
5. That people may be given the freedom to worship