The UAE is a federation of seven states governed by a Supreme Council of Rulers made up of seven emirs. Less than 20% of population is Emirati. Problems exist in regard to human rights of non-citizens. Many expatriate workers are of South Asian origin. The issue of sexual abuse of female domestic workers is an area of concern, particularly given that domestic servants are not covered by labor laws.
Sorrowful Mysteries: Intentions for UAE
1. That migrant workers be treated with respect
2. That great wealth may enable Emiratis to reach out to the less fortunate in the world.
3. That leaders may be wise in planning for long-term challenges to the economy.
4. That more people may be granted the right to vote for members of the Federal National Council, that Sheik’s advisory council.
5. That Christians may be encouraged and sustained in their faith.