Venezuela is ecologically a ‘megadiverse’ country, 38% of over 21,000 plant species. 23% of reptilian and 50% of amphibian species is endemic. It hosts a total of 1,417 bird species. Rich in oil and mineral resources, its President Hugo Chavez has sought to strengthen its regional influence.
Sorrowful Mysteries: Intentions for Venezuela
1. That democratic institutions may be strengthened.
2. That society succeed in bridging political polarization.
3. That sound economic management will lead to prosperity for all.
4. That government find a solution to the electricity crisis.
5. That mining operations respect the rights of indigenous peoples.